With advancements in technology, cybercriminals attain illegal access rights of target systems using phishing techniques. Consequently, the need for anti-phishing services and anti-phishing solutions proliferates for improved security and lower manual effort.
In an era of proliferating cyberattacks, anti phishing refers to a broad array of defense methods employed against phishing scams taking place every day, and commonly this will be attained using anti phishing techniques and anti-phishing solutions. Nowadays, anti phishing vendors develop tools and services such as anti phishing office, anti phishing chrome extension, anti phishing toolbar, and many more, which can detect, block and remove malicious attachments or content inside inbound and outbound messages.
How Does Anti Phishing Software Work?
To deal with the booming number of phishing cyber-attacks, many anti phishing vendors have been designing and developing software that can detect and report suspicious incoming and outgoing emails or other messages. A typical anti phishing application works in the following ways.
- An anti phishing software ensures that a user’s system is not compromised and verifies the authenticity of a sender’s source by checking it with a list of approved sources or will execute a search for it.
- Most anti phishing software has a database of signatures to detect spoofed websites and continuously monitors the traffic flow in the network and notifies any malicious content or website if detected.
- Some sophisticated anti phishing tools can predict whether the content a user is reading is legitimate or not.
- Moreover, these applications can also detect masqueraded websites that look exactly like the original service provider’s website but might have minor changes in the URL and some grammatical misspellings to avoid copyright issues.
How To Respond To Phishing Attempts
Once a user identifies suspicious content received in email or any other communication channels, it is recommended to contact the original website or verify the organization’s phone number rather than replying to the mail. In addition to that, users can report the incident to the following authorities.
- The company that was spoofed
- Federal Trade Commission
- Local police department or the local cyber cell under the police department
- One of the three major credit card issuing authority related to your bank
- Financial institutions connected to the user which have their personal information
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) through the Internet Crime Complaint Center
Best Anti Phishing Practices For Businesses And Individuals
In addition to using anti phishing apps, individuals and organizations are always recommended to follow safe practices while being online and offline to avoid being a victim of phishing. The below tips scrutinizes essential, safe practices applicable to all general public.
- Confirm the sender’s identity while receiving requests for sensitive information and identity can be confirmed by cross-checking email id or by directly contacting the sender or through a secured phone call within the organization.
- Develop a protocol for reporting phishing attempts in organizations. This will ensure appropriate recovery and backup plans without alerting the attacker.
- Encourage false positives; this will allow the staff and digital systems to be vigilant and never let an attack goes undiscovered.
- Double-check the authenticity and reliability of any URL given in the email to avoid phishing. Spoofed websites will contain a similar logo, and brand name and URL will have a very minute difference when detected if appropriately analyzed.
- Training using simulation is another way employees can be aware of how attacks can happen and how they should respond to it. This will include conduct training using the latest anti-phishing solutions and letting the staff use simulation models.
- Understand why you got this email in the first place, only then a user can decide whether to delete the email or proceed with it.
- Using anti phishing apps and anti phishing chrome extensions is another technique to identify and block suspicious messages without any manual effort.
- Use multi-layered authentication techniques for tightening the security of the network, which will make the task a bit tougher for hackers.
- Always update anti-phishing solutions such as anti-virus software and other security systems to be resilient against the latest cyberattack techniques and loopholes.
To recapitulate the relevance of anti-phishing services is indispensable for organizations and individuals alike. Even though experts have been developing tools and techniques to defend against phishing and other cyberattacks, hackers always find a way out. In the future, cybersecurity professionals aim to build artificial intelligence-driven anti-phishing mechanisms to identify and mitigate sophisticated attack strategies based on pattern matching and other techniques.