As every industry is digitizing, cybersecurity is a big concern nowadays. It now has become important to protect yourself from cyber threats and secure your sensitive data. With the use of email on the rise, the phishing threats have become very common. So, to safeguard yourself from such cyber-attacks, phishing prevention is essential.
We all know that phishing is a technique through which the adversaries trick the users into sharing their personal information. Initially, email was the only way to initiate phishing attacks. But now, with the widespread use of social media platforms as well as smartphones, the techniques of phishing attacks are multiplying. Hence, the protection of confidential data has now become a priority. So, today we are going to discuss phishing prevention techniques.
Techniques For Prevention Of Phishing
· Investigate Before Clicking Any Link: Hackers send forged emails that contain links to malicious phishing sites. So, even though the email sender looks like an authentic one and the link in the email looks like a normal link, doesn’t mean it is actually legitimate. That can be a phishing email that could contain a phishing URL. So, before clicking on the link, hover the mouse cursor over the link which will show the actual URL embedded under the text. You can even type the URL manually to visit the webpage instead of using the suspicious link in the email.
· Verify Security Of The Website: There are chances that you have to submit personal information to some sites. In such cases, always verify the site before entering any information. For verification, always make sure that the URL of the website starts with “https”. Additionally, in the address bar, check whether the lock icon is appearing or not. If the lock icon appears then the website is safe for use. Security certification of the site must also be checked. Other than this, never download any files from the websites which appear to be suspicious.
· Adding Anti-Phishing Toolbar To The Browser: Nowadays, popular browsers can be customized to install anti-phishing toolbars. After installing the toolbar, it checks every site that you visit with its list of known phishing websites. If you come across any malicious website then it sends you an alert notification. This is how you can use the anti-phishing toolbar as the first line of defense for the prevention of phishing attacks.
· Check Online Accounts On Regular Basis: The online accounts must always be checked every now and then even if you don’t have any work with that account. If the account will be ideal for a long time, there are chances that adversaries somehow get access to that account and use it unethically. Changing the password on a regular basis is also essential. This safeguards your account if your previous password was somehow compromised. Make sure you use a unique and strong password which is not easy to guess or crack.
· Keep The Browser Updated: Phishers take advantage of vulnerabilities in the browser to get into your system. Hence, popular browser companies release security patches from time to time to repair any type of loopholes in the browser. So, if you are in a habit of ignoring update notification from your browser, stop doing that now and keep your browser updated.
· Making Use Of Firewalls: Firewall works as a buffer between your system and the adversaries. You can install two types of firewalls for protection from phishing scams. First is the desktop firewall which is a software and another one is the network firewall which is hardware. A combination of both the firewalls reduces the chances of any phisher infiltrating the system and getting his hands on your private data.
· Using Anti-Virus Software: Antivirus software not just guard your system offline, but also provides protection online. The advanced anti-virus software is a bundle of anti-spyware, anti-phishing, anti-malware, firewalls, and many other protective features. All these features work together to prevent phishing attacks. If you visit any malicious site then it will alert you and block the access to that phishing website. It scans every file and detects the malicious software if any. If any malicious file enters your computer system then it restricts access to it immediately and prevents any damage from happening.
In the end, always remember, there is no need to fear the phishing scams. By keeping the above phishing prevention tips in mind, you can enjoy your online experience freely, without any worry.